Monday, April 8, 2013


NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (1988)
Directed By: Kevin Tenney
Written By: Joe Augustyn
Starring: Amelia Kinkade, Cathy Podewell, Alvin Alexis, and Linnea Quigley

BIG GAY REVIEW:
Ahhh, I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was 10 years old.  My father would take me to visit a local video store called "The Emporium" where I would study the horror section for what seemed like an eternity while my Dad would talk to the owner Gus.  As they were washed in conversation about the weather or sports I would be perusing the horror section in pursuit of the nastiest thing I could find. "Hmmmm....Night of the Demons?  This looks interesting and this chick looks freaky as hell."  I grabbed it and nervously awaited what I would see when I got home.

BOY WAS I GLAD.  This movie turned out to be one of the coolest movies of my childhood.  Flicks like this one, Waxwork, and Return of the Living Dead were awesome movies to grow up on.

The story involves Angela, a creepy goth chick (is it the costume or does she just dress like that?) who decides to throw a Halloween party at Hull House, a local abandoned funeral home.  She has invited the most unlikeable people in the Universe.  The jock, the womanizer, the douchiest guy ON THE PLANET, the rebel, the slut (a couple of them), the plain Jane, the "this film needs a black guy" black guy, a couple other douche nozzles, and the one wholesome girl with big tits who is clearly going to survive, Judy.  The setup is simple.  The party is in full swing until a "past life" seance releases a demon spirit from the crematorium downstairs.  The demon possesses the slutty chick, played by the gloriously bad Linnea Quigley and havoc ensues.  Once you are killed by the demon you in turn become one leaving poor Judy and "ok we'll give you a bigger part, black guy" Roger to run for their lives and try to get out alive.

                                         I have those shoes.

The best thing about Night of the Demons is it's ability to NOT take itself too seriously.  These guys know they are making a fun, bad movie and seem to enjoy it.  The result is a fun, gory master-piece of 80's kick ass pie.  The comedy rears it's head early on in the above scene.  Linnea's character asked the store clerk "Do you have Sour Balls?....Too bad.  You must not get many blowjobs." *rimshot*   As a gay guy with little to no taste, I of course laugh every time.  Another line later on in the film is repeated by me on a daily basis and that line is "Eat...a bowl....of fuck."  The comedy here is great.

The kills in this movie are pretty good for a low budgeter.  We get an arm ripped off by a casket, a tongue bitten out, two eyeballs pushed in, a neck broken, an impalement, some cool melting, among others.  The effects are great as well.  There is one silly stop motion effect that makes me laugh every time involving the disembodied arm. The only issue I have with the effects is the REALLY bad "demon puppet" that is shown to represent the invisible demon spirit.  Pretty tacky looking guy....but I'd still fuck him probably.

The performances are standard 80's horror fare.  Bad...on purpose.  The greatest performance in this film is given by the amazing Amelia Kinkade who plays Angela.  She is by far the nastiest demon and my homegirl Amelia seems to revel in the character, floating up and down the halls chewing the scenery and the faces of the other actors.  She does a very creepy dance in the middle of the film in which she has NO petticoat on during the dance....yet a FULL one when she spins out of the dance.  Ok, that's the one gay thing I'll say in this blog entry.  Another hilarious performance is given by a lipstick.  Just sayin.

                                 Really inventive shot used in the film.

Seriously, if you haven't gotten your hands on this gem, check it out.  DO NOT....I REPEAT DO NOT watch the 2009 remake before viewing this one.  It sucks and I wouldn't want to ruin your chances of seeing this amazing movie.

This one gets 4 snaps and a "Girl, Please!"


3 comments:

  1. Oh, Linnea Quigley.

    What would the horror world do without you and your giant fakeys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget the vanishing lipstick trick :)

      Delete
    2. Remember Slimeball Bowl-a-Rama? LOL! They used to play it on USA Up All Night all the time LOL

      Delete