Friday, April 5, 2013

The gays have it!

I am gay.  I am a horror fan.  I am a big, gay horror fan.  Lots of my friends are big, gay horror fans.  I am not sure what it is about this particular genre that connects with a gay audience.  Maybe we're jaded by society and we just like to see people get theirs.  Maybe we revel in the fact that our lifestyle is ignorantly considered "edgy" or "alternative."  Or maybe we just like to see people get their heads cut off just like straight people.  All I know is that when I plan a trip to the movies or check out my local Redbox I want to first know if any horror is available.  There's something about the rush of being scared or at least watching other people be scared in a group environment.

                                                                   God, that's hot.

I am 32 years old.  I grew up in a small town in West Virginia called Logan.  It was a typical mountain town.  Creeks, hollows, a dark, mysterious past.  In our small town a legend roamed those hills and her name was Mamie Thurman.  (I will soon devote a full blog to her.)  She was murdered almost a century ago and is said to roam the hills, haunting and scaring the shit out of the locals.  I was just fascinated by her.  My mother used to drive us around 22 Mountain where she was supposedly always seen.  She would drive us up there and then turn the lights off in the car and we would just sit there.PRAYING for Mamie to jump out and kill us all with an axe.  At 9-10 years old I didn't know how to define my sexuality, but I certainly knew I loved horror.

                                                       From neck sucker to dick sucker.

As a kid I used to spend lots of time at my Aunt Norma's house.  Aside from being my idol in every way, my Aunt Norma was a HUGE gorehound and would rent 5-6 movies at a time....all horror....and we would stay up all night long and watch them as a family (my cousins, sister, aunts and I).  THUS generated my obsession with all things bloody. 

In this blog I will cover horror from a gay perspective.  Don't be surprised to see a "girl" or a "no she didn't" thrown in for good measure.  If you like it great!  If you don't, just follow the advice of my Aunt Norma and "shut up or I'll rip your lips off."

LOVE,
Brent Fabian
Big, Gay Horror Fan










2 comments:

  1. Lookin' forward to reading your stuff, Brent! I know you're as much a nut as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norma always knew how to scare ya!

    ReplyDelete